Gina's blog

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Diabetic patient

I learned a lot today! I'm one who naturally trusts others, and even though it's a good thing to trust your patient, I learned I still need to question a little more thoroughly. My patient told me the she had called her doctor and gotten the antibiotic premed, she also told me that her diabetes has been doing good lately. Well, not so true. When she got to the clinic she had not taken her antibiotic becuase she claimed her Dr. says she could take it after, and she also had a blood glucose level of 284! I spent the entire time running around trying to figure out what we could even do for her. I had to get a physicians consult just so that she could see that he wanted her to take the "pre"med BEFORE the appt. I also had to let her know that we probably couldn't treat her with her blood sugar that high. Well, we were able to at least take some xrays, so I got more of my requirements done for that, but I hope she can get things together a bit so that I can even treat her. A new goal for me is even when I think I have been thorough enough I need to evaluate everything again so that I don't waste so much time in clinic. Today was the MOST frustrating day I have had yet. Sometimes things like this just happen, but I can still be frustrated, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home